Senior Lecturer II
- School of Hosp,Tourism & Events
Faculty of Social Sciences & Leisure Management
Dr Suresh Kumar Velayudhan Pillai
Senior Ayurvedic Physician and Yoga Master (Acharya) currently in Malaysia (since 2003) providing holistic health and wellness training and Ayurveda medical treatment for various illnesses and general well-being for the last 17 years. Has incorporated lifestyle modification solutions such as correcting patients’ eating patterns, posture, stress management, mindfulness, and breathing and relaxation techniques. Curriculum consultant to National Occupational Skills Standards (NOSS) on Ayurvedic courses in Malaysia and conducted training and workshops for the corporate, academic and non-profit community in Malaysia and India. In addition, has over 27 years’ experience in teaching physical training and yoga.
Career Synopsis: Career spanning 5 years lecturing at Taylors University; 18 years qualified Ayurvedic physician and 27 years yoga master and physical trainer.
August 2015 – Present: Taylor’s University, Subang Jaya, Malaysia.
Initiated, developed and taught a new Holistic Approach to Health and Wellness module. The module comprises 14 periods of 1-hour theory and 2 hours practical exercises and covers topics like the significance of body constitution, bodyweight management, and posture modification, breathing exercises, body/mind relaxation, concentration techniques and mindfulness practice.
Since 2015, 800 students have successfully completed this Holistic Approach to Health and Wellness module. Furthermore, a number of Taylor’s University staff have also attended specially designed Health and Wellness training program for professionals.
Presented 15 papers at various conferences in India and Malaysia on holistic health and wellness, including original research on the effects of holistic health and wellness programmes. The key outcome of the research suggested the efficacy of holistic health and wellness, including diet and different traditional relaxation methods on the general health of the participants in such programmes.
December 2003 – July 2015: Sampurna Ayurveda Sdn Bhd & Sri Ayurveda Sdn Bhd, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Senior Ayurvedic Physician
Treating people with different ailments such as diabetes, spinal problems, stress, skin diseases, asthma, stroke, sports and accident-related injuries, pre and post-menopause syndrome, ante- and postnatal care, arthritis, gynaecological problem etc. Providing a holistic approach using diet, lifestyle modifications, posture modifications, breathing techniques, mindfulness, relaxation techniques as well as Ayurvedic solutions for the treatment of clients and patients.
The Ayurvedic & yoga centre was personally managed and includes trained Ayurvedic therapists and other staff. In addition to the treatment of patients, various classes including yoga, health talks are given. Successfully treated many chronic conditions by incorporating the traditional Ayurvedic system of medicine, yoga and diet regimen.
August 2002 –November 2003: Government Ayurveda Medical College, Kerala, India
Panchakarma Assistant-Panchakarma is the ultimate mind-body healing experience for detoxifying the body, strengthening the immune system and restoring balance and well-being.
Worked as an assistant to Dr.K. Sankaran, former DAME (Director of Ayurveda Medical Education) of Kerala, India as well as with the Government Ayurveda Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The primary role in the Panchakarma Department was supervising other therapists and interns in prescribing Panchakarma Therapies to patients.
April 2001 – August 2002: Government Ayurveda Medical College, Kerala, India
Following the completion of Ayurveda medical degree, worked in the various departments and specialists. Such as Panchakarma, Kayachilkitsa (internal medicine), Salya (surgery), Salakya (ENT), Visha (Toxicology), Prasoothitantra & Streeroga (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Kaumarabruthya (Pediatrics), Manasika Rogachikitsa (Mental Health Care), Prakrulhichikitsa & Swasthawritha (Social and Preventive medicine) which included a posting in the rural dispensary (Thiruvananthapuram district).
1988 –2001: The Veera Kerala Gymkhana Trust, Kerala, India
Physical Trainer and Yoga Instructor
While studying for the Ayuredic medical degree, taught yoga and trained students on various physical exercises including athletics, bodybuilding, powerlifting, other types of sports and other general exercises.
1985 –1988: Center for Chemistry, Kattakada, Thiruvananthapuram
Lecturer: Chemistry theory and practicals to college and university students.
RECENT WORKSHOP/ CONFERENCES/ SEMINARS/PUBLICATION/RESEARCH
1. 2020: Health is Life by Taylor University Community Programme, 09/05/2020 to 10/05/2020 (Community)
2. 2020: Obesity and Health - Live programme through Facebook. Participants from Malaysia and India, 29/04/2020 to 29/04/2020 (International)
3. 2020: Exercises for Immunity. Live programme through Facebook. Participants from Malaysia and India, 15/04/2020 to 15/04/2020 (International)
4. 2020: Technical review Meeting For Developing The Technical Materials For The m-Yoga Mobile Application- Invited By World Health Organization (WHO), 13/03/2020 to 14/03/2020 (International)
5. 2020: Holistic Health And Stress Management, Workshop on Stress Management, 06/01/2020 to 06/01/2020, School of Tourism Studies Mahatma Gandhi University (International)
6. 2019: Guest Speaker as a resource person in the Special session in International Ayush Conclave Kerala 2019,“Public Health Interventions by AYUSH Medical Systems, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
7. 2018: Holistic Health and Wellness Training for Executives, Taylor’s Consultancy Programme.
8. 2018: Co-researcher for Health-Flagship Programme under the Project “ Shaping and promoting a healthy lifestyle through real-time monitoring technology and food legislation for 5 years i.e 1 Oct 2017- 30 Sept 2022, Taylor’s University.
9. 2018: To study the effectiveness of a holistic stress management programme for executives / professionals to promote a sustainable work-life balance”, Taylor’s University.
10. 2018: Organized health and wellness training for “Healthy Spine and Joints” in PD day in Desaru, Johor, Taylor’s University.
11. 2018: The Effectiveness of an Innovative Holistic Health and Wellness Programme on University Students, Taylor’s Consultancy Programme.
12. 2018: Guest lecture on Health and Wellness for diploma students in School of Hospitality, Taylor’s University
13. 2017: Role Of Yoga And Exercise In Prevention Of Lifestyle Diseases, AYUSH, Indian Cultural Centre, Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur.
14. 2017: Roll of Exercises in The Management of Obesity For MASO, Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur
15. 2017: Alternative Healing: Breathing Right - Published in The Sun Daily.
16. 2017: Integrated The practice of Ayurveda & Yoga – Global opportunities in Govt. Ayurveda Medical Collage, Trivandrum, India.
17. 2017: Health & Peace Global Aspect, Taylor’sUniversity Malaysia.
18. 2016: 6th Asia Euro Conference 2016 in Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy Conference in Gwalior, India.
19. 2016: 3rd Global Ayurveda Festival (GAF2016), International Seminar on Holistic approach to Health & Wellness on Global Health, Kozhikode, India.
20. 2016: International Seminar on Philosophy of Yoga and Health Management, Thiruvananthapuram, India
21. 2016: 6th Malaysian International Conference on Holistic Healing for Cancer, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
22. 2016: Health and Wellness Training for Corporate Staff (Teaching & Non –Teaching) and Students, Taylor’s University, Malaysia.
23. 2016: Health and Wellness training for Senior Executives in UAE Exchange Malaysia Berhad, Kuala Lumpur.
24. 2015: Health and Wellness Training at The Banjaran Hotsprings Retreat Resort, Ipoh, Malaysia
25. 2014: 6th Asia Pacific Otology, Neurology and Skill Base Conference and Audiology (AANOA) Congress, Penang, Malaysia.
26. 2013: Power of Yoga in Health Management, Malaysian Association for the Blind, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
27. 2013: Nutrition –Ayurvedic Way, Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
28. 2013: Traditional Medicine, Puncak Alam, Malaysia (Traditional Medicine Course for University Teknologi Mara students)
29. 2012: The 4th Conference on Traditional Medicine in ASEAN Countries by Ministry of Health Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
30. 2012: 2nd Malaysian International Conference on Holistic Healing for Cancer, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
31. 2012: International Conference on Ayurveda and Siddha with 11th GOPIO International Convention by University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
32. 2012: Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Nutrition (CAM), Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (for Management & Science University students).
33. 2012: Stress Management –Ayurvedic Way, Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
34. 2012: Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies for Common Ailments, Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
35. 2012: Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies, Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
36. 2012: Lifestyle-Ayurvedic Way, Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
37. 2011: Ayurvedic Massage and Its Benefits, Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
38. 2011: Yoga, Meditation, Therapeutic of Pranayama (Breathing Exercise), Persatuan Kalavirty Ceylon Tamil, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
39. 2011: Health and Wellness, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (for College of Nursing, University Malaya Medical Center students).
40. 2011: 1st Malaysian International Conference on Holistic Healing for Cancer-“Yoga Therapy in Cancer”, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
41. 2011: Traditional and Complementary Medicine Seminar for Pharmacists “Towards Integrated Healthcare System”, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
42. 2011: Ayurvedic and Yoga Remedy for Diabetes and High Blood Pressure, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
43. 2010: Hatha Yoga-Promotive, Preventive & Curative Aspects, Malaysian Association for the Blind, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
44. 2010: Ayurveda & Yoga Therapy in Healing, Malaysian Association for the Blind, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
45. 2009: Health and Wellness, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (for College of Nursing, University Malaya Medical Center students)
1. 2012 - 2014: Master Degree of Yoga Therapy (MSc First Class),
: Tamil Nadu Physical Education and Sports University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
2. 2006: Pranic Healing, (Certificate of completion)
: All India Yoga Vidya Pranic Healing Foundation Trust
3. 2006: Reflexology Therapy, (Certificate of completion)
: Center for Promotion of Alternative Therapies, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
4. 1996 - 2001: Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), (Second Class)
: Government Ayurveda Medical College, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
5. 1982 - 1985: Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (B.Sc. in Chemistry).
: University of Kerala, India
- Master in Science (Yoga Therapy), TAMIL NAIDU PHYSICAL EDUCATION & SPORTS UNIVERSITY, India
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery, UNIVERSITY OF KERALA, -
Areas of Expertise
- Medical And Health Sciences, Complimentary/Alternative Medicine, Traditional Medicine And Natural Products
- Medical And Health Sciences, Complimentary/Alternative Medicine, Traditional Medicine And Natural Products
- Psychosomatic disorders
- Obesity Management
- Health and wellness of different communities
- Health and Wellness
- Understanding the Effectiveness of Holistic Health and Wellness Programme on Students, Project Leader, 2018, Taylor's University
- Asian Food Barometer, Co-researcher, 2017 to 2022, Taylor's University
- Shaping and promoting a healthy lifestyle through real-time monitoring technology and food legislation, Co-researcher, 2017 to 2022, Taylor's University
Awards and Stewardship
- Holistic Health And Stress Management, Workshop on Stress Management (WORKSHOP), INVITED SPEAKER , 06/01/2020 to 06/01/2020
- Cardiovascular Diseases - Ayurveda Approach , Global Celebration of Ayurveda Day (SEMINAR), INVITED SPEAKER , 23/11/2019 to 23/11/2019
- An Ideal Weight for Health and Wellness, MASO 24th Annual General Meeting (MASO 24th Annual General Meeting), INVITED SPEAKER , 02/08/2017 to 02/08/2017
- Role of Yoga and Exercise in Prevention of Lifestyle Diseases, Pre-conference Work Shop and Lecture in Conjunction with International AYUSH Convention and Exhibition 2017 in Dubai (CONFERENCE), INVITED SPEAKER , 07/10/2017 to 07/10/2017
- CREATING A SUSTAINABLE GLOBAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS INDUSTRY FOR THE FUTURE, 6th Asia Euro Conference 2016 in Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy (CONFERENCE), INVITED SEMINAR , 09/11/2016 to 12/11/2016